w

Anurag Kashyap has issued a statement on his former partner Vikas Bahl controversy. He posted his statement on Twitter, clarifying his position in the matter.

Mentioning how ‘ill-equipped’ the industry is in handling sexual harassment cases, below are excerpts from Anurag Kashyap’s statement:

“According to legal advice provided to me then, I was told that we had very limited options. Now in hindsight and after taking stock of things myself, I can quite see how I was ill-advised. Since we were told then that there was very little we could do, we decided to take a strong moral stand whilst also taking steps in our power as part of the company. We first suspended him (Vikas Bahl). We barred him from the premises, took away his signing authority. If that wasn’t enough, I named and shamed him privately amongst whoever asked about it. While others in the industry were only rumour-mongering, it was me who was responsible for bringing out Vikas’s name publicly by speaking with Mumbai Mirror on an anonymous basis and the publication eventually carried a front-page article about the incident. Nothing about it was under wraps. It’s been out there for more than a year… It was the victim’s choice not to talk about it. That had to be respected beyond anything else. We have spoken out now because she has allowed her story to be spoken out, even if only anonymously…

“This industry is extremely ill-equipped to handle matters such as sexual harassment, copyright, censorship and all the things we put ourselves in dock with. A large part of the reason for this is that there is clearly lack of correct advice and awareness of legal remedies… “None of this takes away from the wrong that has been done and perhaps never will. I am better aware today to not allow ourselves to be in a similar place ever again. I am deeply, truly sorry to the woman in question and she has known this all this while. This will never happen again on my work premises ever again.”

Read the full statement here:

For the unversed, in a recent article on Huffpost India, a woman has reiterated the allegations of molestation against Vikas Bahl. Soon after, Queen actor Kangana Ranaut also alleged that Bahl made her feel uncomfortable on several occasions.

Earlier on Saturday, the four partners of the Phantom Films Vikramaditya Motwane, Anurag Kashyap, Madhu Mantena and Vikas Bahl, announced to dissolve their banner without citing any reason for this decision.

(Visited 85 times, 1 visits today)